Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Burial in the Winter, Part of the Process



Warning!! Picture Overload!!   This is mainly to share with family the scene at our little country cemetery today.


Before I went to the funeral, I decided to go take a look and maybe take some pictures up at the cemetery.  I was surprised to see someone else already there.   The "grave-digger" (for lack of a better term) was lowering the vault in to the ground.


On the highway, on my way to town, this last drift was still just one lane traffic.   Nobody was coming, so I stopped in the wrong lane to take a picture.   I can see why they closed the highway last night.  (See previous post.)


I was the last one in the funeral procession out to the cemetery.  The state snow plow trucks were using their rotary plows to clean out that last drift.



Impressive to watch all that snow getting blown out of the way!


The Sheriff himself was on the highway at the turn off to our road to stop traffic, if need be.  (There wasn't anyone stopped behind him!!)   I guess he noticed me taking the picture, and so I got a nice pose, ha!


Part way down the Dooley Road, a pickup had pulled over.  I like this sign of respect.  I think it was one of the pickups that goes up to the oil rigs north of us.

The setting at the grave.

The northwest corner of the cemetery.

People leaving after the short service.  (Actual temp was around 20, windchill about 16, I think.)

Back at the home place, it looks like the county plow started to clear out our short driveway to the west.  We have told him he doesn't need to spend a lot of time on that part of the driveway, if we can just get the long lane opened up.

Looking east from the road.

The trusty pickup parked in a spot that stays open just to the west of the shop.
 
The northwest pole on the clothesline is just barely showing.
And I sincerely hope that I won't be posting any more snow pictures this season!!

No comments: